Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Murphy's Law


What is Murphy's Law? Is it good or bad? There's a whole list of murphy's law which i have no idea how it came about.. Let me tell you.. most of us have experienced this before just that we don't realise it.. It's a law that we all have to abide even unconsciously..

Murphy's Law:" If anything is likely to go wrong, it will go wrong at the worst possible time. The time we least expected and in the worst possible fashion."

MY LAPTOP JUST KONK OUT ON ME!!! Arghhh.... at the worst possible moment too.. Dad had asked me to find out which is the best way to get to Harlow(north east of London) because he has a conference there.. Lo and Behold,i pressed the start button and all i get is a black screen.. ??? What happen??? i really panicked... 2 of my assignments are due on Monday Friday respectively... Not now.... i couldn't sleep well that night.. smart me though.. i had saved my work on my thumb drive.. but how could i be sure? I have totally lost confidence in this IT stuff...

The next morning(Sunday), I went over to my friends flat to use her laptop.. I breathed a sigh of relief and laid back on the chair when i saw my 2500 word essay appear on the screen.. goodness... Thank God... my other assignment was also in place.. but i was still worried about my laptop.. With Dad, mum, Uncle and Grandma we went to visit the historical city of Oxford.. Even the fascinating historical tour that we took could not take my mind of the laptop...

Aren't we a bit too dependable on technology? Has it been a good thing for us or has it just spoilt us? I read in the papers yesterday that there is a bar in London that u can order your beer via sms/text... ??? How big can the bar be?? It means people are too lazy to just get their bums of the seats to walk to the bar to get a beer.. What type of world has this become? i think the future will be that we dun even need to get out of our beds and everything is done for us...
The entire age of civilisation is an enormous cycle.. hundreds of years ago people craved for the technology we have now to make their lives easier and more comfortable.. but now... people want to go back to the old ways.. living in cottages.. going for holidays in the mountains.. living in the countryside away from all the concrete and skyscrapers... humans.. aren't we a really special but highly mysterious breed of homosapiens...

As the saying goes :"The grass on the other side is always greener". Technology has definitely made our lives easier and more comfortable. In which age could you speak to someone thousands of miles away face to face with no charge? but admit it.. a lot of us just wish to have a quiet place.. no traffic jams... no noise but the singing of crickets... ahh.. the life... If God would appear right in front of us now and tell us that he will grant us the gift of choosing which generation we would want to live in, won't it be a dilemma?

anyway.. i have handed in my first assignment yesterday and will get my laptop checked out soon.. am currently in a family friends house using their computer... but remember my dear friends.. Murphy's Law can be a good thing to us as it teaches us to be more cautious and plan better.. although sometimes things just cant be helped but this is life... Like my wise old(but still young) Taikache says:" Never call your child by the name Murphy!!" haha...

p/s taikache, its a more immediate reminder for you than me... haha...

2 comments:

eunice said...

Murphy! Noooo..

But what if your future wife likes the name Murphy?

rendezvous@isaac said...

haha.. very funny taikache...