Thursday, January 10, 2008

Listen...


Many a times we think we have planned everything out. Everything seems to be going your way, it all looks perfect. You are enjoying yourself and carefully anticipating all the wonderful things you have been waiting to do. You have worked hard to get to this stage. You feel strongly that you somehow deserve it. You have been looking forward to this moment of enjoyment. Ever had that feeling?

Suddenly, some little innocent thing happens and your entire plan shatters to pieces instantly. The first thing that comes to your mind is :' Why God? Can't you just let me have this moment of perfectness?' Familiar? I have had many moments like that before and this is my latest episode.

My exams just finished yesterday. As you might have noticed in my last post. I had a plan like i always do. I had a target. A goal to achieve. Everything planned out nicely in my head. All it needed was execution. I was walking to Uxbridge to hand in my application form for a part time job. I have walked on that uneven pavement many times before, but this time i slipped. Just a little tweek... there goes.. I SPRAINED my ankle..

I felt like screaming at the stupid pavement :'Why were you(pavement) uneven?'

I felt like blaming God :'Why God... Why?'

I felt like slapping the next person that walked by.

I felt like sitting down right at that spot and cry.

I felt like standing there and wait for the next person to fall so that i will have a partner.

I felt like squeezing air out of the air.

This were all feelings all in that split second. But the only person i could blame was myself. I wasn't careful. Thats all. Simple.I was only a couple of metres away from the place i was applying a job for. Man.. My first impression to the manager is a limp? Goodness.. What happen to my wonderful plan? It's gone.

It was a lesson that i knew God was teaching me. It's either i haven't learnt my lesson before or He just wants to strengthen His point.

Reminder: God is THE Planner, i am just the assistant

I have planned out everything. It all seems perfect, but God might have other plans. We often crowd ourselves with our plans and aspirations. Sometimes we just have to be quiet and ask God for His aspirations of us. I recently watched the movie 'I am Legend' which Will Smith acted in. I thought it was a quite fantastic movie. It was short, cost me a bomb for the ticket but absolutely worth it(thanks wei shin for the recommendation). There was something that struck me. This is the conversation.

Will Smith: How do you know there are many other survivors?

Lady: Err.. God told me.

Will Smith: God? You mean THE God told you?

Lady: Yeeesss.. Yes.. He told me.

Will Smith: You must be crazy lady.

Lady: Listen, the world is quieter now. If we Listen, we can hear God's plan. You just got to listen. He wants to talk to us.

I feel this is absolutely true. Sometimes we crowd our lives we activities and noise. We want to go out there and do something. It's not wrong but there's a time to listen.

Martha was busy preparing a meal for Jesus. Was it wrong? No.. It was sensible and respectful. When Martha complained, Jesus said:' Martha, Martha. Mary has chosen the better.' Mary was sitting at Jesus feet, listening to Him.

I feel sometimes even things as small as spraining my ankle draws me back to perpective again. A little wake up call from God. A pat on the back from God saying:' Hey son, listen here. Do you want to hear MY plan for you?'

When we are so busy with things in this world. Pause. Take a deep breath. Listen. You will be suprised.

No comments: